Hilmerson Safety Services, Inc. can provide expert safety trainers and educators to deliver a wide variety of standard or customized training to help drive health and safety performance within your company or organization. We can host your team in our training facility, train at your job sites, or travel to your offices. Contact us to discuss your training needs or to inquire about our scheduled training events.
If you don’t see what you are looking for here, please contact us as this is not a comprehensive listing.
Featured Education & Training Services
OSHA 10 & 30 Hour – Construction
This training program and curriculum, developed by OSHA, is intended to provide entry level construction workers information about their rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint as well as how to identify, abate, avoid and prevent job related hazards on a construction site.
The training covers a variety of construction safety and health hazards which a worker may encounter at a construction site. Upon successful completion of the course participants will receive an OSHA 10 or 30 Hour Card from the Department of Labor.
OSHA 10 & 30 Hour – General Industry
This training program and curriculum, developed by OSHA, is intended to provide workers in general industry with information about their rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint as well as how to identify, abate, avoid and prevent job related hazards in the workplace.
The training covers a variety of work related safety and health hazards which a worker may encounter at work. Upon successful completion of the course participants will receive an OSHA 10 or 30 Hour Card from the Department of Labor.
HAZWOPER 24 Hour & 8 Hour Refresher
These training programs and curriculum are for workers, contractors, supervisors, and managers potentially exposed to hazardous substances, intended to meet the classroom training requirements in OSHA standard 29 CFR 1910.120 and annual refresher requirements for the Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) Standard.
This course is also good for people in your organization that want or need a fundamental understanding of hazardous waste safety and the associated health hazards.
Upon successful completion of the course(s) participants will receive completion certificates. FAQs and answers available at http://www.osha.gov/dte/training_faqs.html
Risk Management 101
Our Risk Management 101 course is a one day (8 hour) session that is the foundation in our Academy Classes. This course is a deep dive into business critical information owners, executives, managers, and safety professionals need to know.
Risk Management 101 is developed and led by a team of safety professionals with nearly 90 years of combined safety management experience in construction, manufacturing, transportation, and regulatory enforcement.
Join us in our training room for a scheduled session, or host us at your facility for a customized course.
- Intro and purpose
- The value of managing risk—human and business costs
- How does managing risk and safety poorly/correctly impact my projects?
- How do we know if we are winning or losing? (lagging and leading indicators, scorecard, etc.)
- Regulatory agencies that have H&S requirements—OSHA, MSHA, USACE, EPA, DOT
- Drivers of safety and risk management practices:
- Regulatory agencies
- Industry (best practices)
- Consensus standards (ANSI Z10, ASTM, ASME, etc.)
- Management—ISO accrediting process (18001)
- Insurance—policy development (examples: driving MVR’s and alcohol use)
- Addressing project safety needs
- Upstream at the RFP stage
- Contract negotiation
- Pre-construction discussions
- Contract language and insurance review
- Master service agreement (MSA)
- Project service agreement (PSA)
- Project specific Health and Safety Plan (HASP)
- Preparation time frame
- Scope of work
- Development by H&S
- PM review
- Changes/modifications during the project
- Project safety orientation
- Sub-consultant controls:
- Safety performance review/vetting (programs, policies, insurance, etc.)
- Health and Safety Plan (HASP) review
- Orientation documentation management
- Incident reporting and investigation- internal, client, sub-consultant, “traveling employee”
- Training and education
- Need to have (regulatory requirements, client requirements)
- Nice to have (soft skill development—conflict resolution, communication, etc.)
- Delivery—on-line, classroom, blended learning
- Safety practices and controls
- Hazard hierarchy—elimination, engineering, administrative, PPE
- Communicating/messaging (plan of the day/tailgate meetings, FLHA, etc.)
- Daily visual work space and equipment inspection
- Weekly written inspection
- Tool-box talks (informational session)
- Specialty safety/emergency equipment
- First aid training
- Metrics identified to drive performance and accountability
- Incentive program
- Reporting near-miss incidents—purpose and benefit
- Conditional hire criteria—drug testing, driving record check, fit-for-duty.
- Policy enforcement and disciplinary action
Foundations in Safety Leadership Academy
Is a high EMR making you less profitable? Are you missing out on opportunities because you lack formalized safety programs and struggle with ISNET World? It’s critical that your leadership team and management understands the true costs of disruptive incidents, worker injuries, and property damage.
Our Foundations in Safety Leadership Academy is an in depth series of safety and risk management courses designed to help your leadership and management teams fully understand the fundamentals of risk management, the foundations of safety leadership, and why a well developed safety culture is good business.
This two-day program is designed to lay the foundation for successful safety initiatives, shared understanding of running effective safety programs, developing a mature safety culture, and reaping the benefits of decreased potential for injury, loses, and all of the associated costs.
Join us in our training room for a scheduled seminar, or host us at your site for a customized session for your organization. We can deliver the Foundations of Safety Leadership Academy in two full days, or a flexible series of partial days depending on your scheduling needs.
The Safety Professional Academy
Are you interested in starting a career as a safety professional? Do you have multiple years of on-the-ground experience in the trades and you’re ready to start applying for safety jobs? Are you a recent safety grad with limited work experience?
If you want to grow your safety industry knowledge, grow your professional network, and be a more competitive safety job applicant… join us! The Safety Professional Academy was designed specifically to help experienced workers and recent safety program graduates transition into a successful safety career.
Our five day Safety Professional Academy is hosted in our training facility and led by a team of safety professionals with over 90 years of combined safety management experience, and covers a wide variety of technical, professional, and safety specific topics.
- OSHA 10-Hour Course (10 Hr card upon completion)
- Risk Management 101 Curriculum (see course contents in “Risk Management 101” above)
- Writing Your Safety Resume (job ready resume upon completion)
- Building an Effective LinkedIn Profile for Safety Pros (live LinkedIn profile upon completion)
- Mock Safety Job Interview (1 per attendee)
- Q&A Session with a Retired OSHA Inspector
- Which Safety Certifications Should I Pursue and How? (ASP, CSP, CHST, etc.)
- Ongoing Professional Mentoring
"Anytime we need expert assistance, they respond immediately. Hilmerson's staff is professional and knowledgeable."− Diane Erpelding | Risk Manager / Safety Officer
Itasca County, Minnesota
"We now have an improved and safer training basis as a result of the walkthrough with the expert Hilmerson provided us. We will definitely call on Hilmerson in the future."− Shirley | CFO/Business Manager
International House at UC Berkeley
"We love the guardrails and gate Hilmerson installed for us. We can't say enough about Hilmerson's hard work and perseverance for perfection!"− Odalys Ibarra CTE | Manager of Corporate Safety
Liz Claiborne, Inc.
"Highly recommend Hilmerson Safety Services, Inc. for their excellent employee health and safety consultation services."− Richard Schreiner, CHFM
Director Facility Operation